Monday, September 24, 2007

Mist

I was driving into town by myself (that's a rarity!) this weekend and happened to really read one of the signs in front of the high school. Underneath the school name it had a given in memorial sign of someone I'd never heard of. It made me realize life really is a vapor. When that sign was erected people were remembering and mourning the loss of someone of impact, but now if we even recognize the memorial, few know the name. How quickly time passes and how soon we are truly like the grass--gone.

And yet somehow equally incomprehensible from a human perspective, God is good. Today I stumbled into a post on John Piper's blog. His son Abraham and his wife were due to have their second child yesterday. She was perfect and healthy--and on Saturday confirmed dead in the womb, probably strangled by her own cord. What sorrow God gives us and how we don't understand! But in the words of a mourning grandpa, " This seems so preventable. By God and by man. Yes. So easy. But neither man nor God prevented this. Man, because he did not know it was happening. God, because he has his wise and loving reasons that we wait to learn with tears and trust."

I don't know what God has in store for me, but I do pray that He will give me the grace to love Him more through it. Pray for the Pipers today.

No comments: