Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Let’s Dish!

Being a homeschool mom can be exhausting, to say the least.  I think I get most of my exercise circling the table as my three little chickadees keep chirping, "Mom.  Mom. Mom."   Being at home all day does have its benefits:  we can school  in our pj's or take the dog on a walk for PE.  But after taking a look around, I've decided that living in this house 24/7 is starting to take a toll on our dwelling.   Average families exit the house for a while most every day, leaving only their pets to make a mess.  We, on the other hand, canvas every room all day long, emptying toy bins, spreading out books, flushing toilets, dirtying dishes, the list goes on and on.  I have trouble keeping my house "respectable" clean, let alone "Better Homes and Gardens" clean.

And then there's the food.  We're hungry Americans: not only do we have to eat it, but our lives often revolve around it.  With the schooling and the laundry and the cleaning, gourmet has gone out the window and family-friendly has come sailing in.  Whether you call it a covered dish, a casserole, or a hot dish, the one pot meal has supplied my hungry hoard with balanced meals and given me those much needed moments to fold my laundry, sweep my floors, and even blog occasionally!

Throughout the month of April I intend to share some of our family's favorite casseroles, many of which make two meals, one to eat and one to freeze, starting with tonight's dinner,  Cordon Bleu Bake.  ( Sorry there's no photo, the lions were circling! ) If you have any dishes to share on your blog, please leave a link  in the comments.  I’m always looking for good ideas!

 

Cordon Bleu Bake
(makes 2 pans)

I found this recipe while perusing one of the Taste of Home publications (can’t remember which one) at the piano teacher’s house.  I like the fact that all of the ingredients are available at Aldi.

2 packages stuffing mix
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
8 cups cooked cubed chicken
1/2 tsp. pepper
3/4 lb. deli ham, cut in 1” strips
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese

Prepare stuffing as directed on the box.  Combine soup and milk and set aside.  Divide chicken between two 9x13 greased dishes.  Sprinkle with pepper.  Top with ham, Swiss, 1 cup cheddar, soup mixture, and stuffing.  Sprinkle with remaining cheddar. 

For tonight:  Bake covered at 350 for 45 minutes.  Uncover and bake another 10 to 15 minutes.

For later:  Cover and freeze.  When ready to use, thaw in refrigerator.  Set on the counter for 30 minutes before baking as directed above.

1 comment:

Monica said...

You said it! I was thinking just the same thing as I was helping my daughter clean out from under her bed. How could there be so much junk under there?! If she were in "real" school she couldn't open wrappers and drop them behind her bed while reading:)

Thanks for sharing your recipes. My family thanks you, too.