Thursday, February 26, 2009

In Theory…

My kids are blooming pianists who, like most elementary musicians, would avoid their theory lessons if at all possible. Our music teacher is very laid back, desiring her students to enjoy playing the piano. She doesn’t sweat their lack of theory or send them home with loads of nomenclature to memorize. I however, was trained by a lovely lady who did, and while I hated it at the time, I now see its intrinsic value. I don’t want my kids to hate music lessons by the time they hit junior high but I do want them to learn the key signatures, chord progressions, and intervals. So I’m doing what the most sneaky of parents do: employing educational computer games. The following websites provide free music theory training that my kids find quite entertaining:

Creating Music is an elementary site for exploring music

Musicards.net has online flash cards for all levels of theory education.

MusicTheory.com provides students with interactive games for learning theory at the beginning to advanced levels for strings, guitar, and keyboard.

Ricci Adams’ MusicTheory.net has both lessons and games for keyboard, guitar, and brass.

Big Ears is a wonderful site for learning to hear note intervals.

2 comments:

A Dusty Frame said...

Thanks for these!
I agree that theory is very important.

I didn't have a teacher that had me do theory until high school. I was at a huge disadvantage.
Your teacher perhaps didn't learn theory when she was younger so she doesn't see the importance?

Lizzie

Monica said...

I need these link. Our piano teacher has moved on to other things and I'm currently filling in:)