Sunday, July 11, 2010

Midwest-Aid

**Disclaimer: There is nothing (I mean absolutely nothing) healthful about this recipe, in fact, there is probably nothing in it that even remotely qualifies as food, but if you like caramel corn, you have to try these tasty treats. Think of it as doing your part for the midwest corn-growers.

Now that that's out of the way, we were at a party this weekend and the hostess had a bowl of these innocent little darlin's on the table. "Try one," she said. Oh... my... goodness! One? I couldn't stop, they were so yummy! And I couldn't keep this to myself; I had to share.

Caramel Corn Puffs

1 to 1.5 bags of O-Ke-Doke Corn Puffs
1/2 cup light corn syrup (Gasp! I know!)
2 sticks butter
2 cups brown sugar

1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda

Cook corn syrup butter, and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. After mixture reaches a boil, cook for 5 more minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and baking soda. Pour caramel over corn puffs and mix well. Spread caramel puffs on two aluminium-foil-lined cookie sheets. Bake at 250-degrees for 45-50 minutes. Let cool then break into pieces and store in an airtight container.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a hit - at least with your dad. I used 2 6-oz. bags of the bran of puffs sold in our local store. Now on to our small group; I hope we can come home with an empty container. This stuff is habit forming.