Saturday, November 10, 2007

Manna from Heaven


It used to be that I loved laundry. I adored cooking. Cleaning my house was what I did for fun and shopping for groceries made me feel like the Proverbs 31 woman bringing her food from afar.

But I've been very sluggish lately. Some sort of combination of "I just don't want to do it" and "It's gotten so out of control that I don't know where to begin." I've tried all sorts of organizational charts and methods of keeping on top of the daily chores, but what I've come to realize is that, like everything else, it's a "heart thing."

When I was first married, all of these chores were wonderful because serving my beloved was a complete joy. We had a cute little house and I got to be the home despot, ruler of all I surveyed. The problem is now that we have more mouths to feed, laundry to wash, and toilets to clean, I'm just not as thankful as I used to be. I'm more like one of the children of Israel whining about the manna, no longer functioning out of gratitude but out of a sense of entitlement.

So how can this be fixed? By re-focusing on Christ and His sacrificial love for me. By confessing my selfishness and remembering that all these things I've been considering menial tasks that get in the way of my plans are really God's gracious gifts to me. They are His plan!

So for this Thanksgiving month I'm going to be asking God for a thankful heart and a diligent spirit. If you also need a dose of thankfulness, check out The Homespun Heart where Monica is running a thankfulness theme this month on her blog. Don't miss her ABC chart!

2 comments:

AmyR said...

Umm...Saralyn, you should REALLY stop reading my diary :) Thanks for the reminder to be, well, thankful.

sweetnika said...

I rejoice in calling you my friend. How truely thankless we can all be. I am beside you sister in a trench not quite so far away. As one coughs, one whines, one talks incessantly, and one is away working endless hours, I too, forget to be thankful for this manna!
you are loved!