Thursday, May 22, 2008

Police State Shopping

Yesterday I made a trip to my favorite thrift store. They've taken to putting those bulky theft prevention tags on things they deem "nice." I found one of those "nice" skirts, clumsily tried it on under the skirt I was wearing, found it fit quite "nicely," and proceeded to the check-out with it. The clerk couldn't get the tag off. As the line behind me grew, another clerk attempted to help her with it, finally removing the tag and leaving a hole in the waistband of the skirt. Now the skirt for which I was willing to pay a whopping six-dollars was ruined. Needless to say, I left it there.

What is most perplexing about this account is why the thrift store is using theft prevention tags in the first place. The entire contents of the store has been donated to charity, and I am very grateful for the part that is extended to me. You have to leave all bags at the counter upon entering the store, they have no dressing rooms, and employees roam the aisles stocking and sorting the displays. The only thing left to institute is a strip search. How much could they possibly be losing to require this kind of security? Admittedly I do not understand the mind of a thief and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, but if people have been reduced to stealing from a thrift store maybe they need our charity as much as the AmVets.


"...Give me neither poverty nor riches; Feed me with food that is my portion, That I not be full and deny You and say, 'Who is the Lord?' Or that I not be in want and steal, And profane the name of my God." ~Proverbs 30:8-9

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent point!

I always like that scene in Les Miserables where Jean Valjean (after serving 19 years in prison for stealing a loaf of bread) is turned away from the inns and is finally fed and housed by Bishop Myriel. During the night, Jean Valjean leaves with the fine silver, and and police arrest him and bring him back to Bishop Myriel. Rather than confirm that Jean Valjean stole the silver, Bishop Myriel insists the silver was a gift and says Jean Valjean forgot to take the silver candlesticks and hands them to him.

Monica said...

Great verse.

Interesting scenario. I remember once (one of the few times) I was browsing in Victoria's S. A very well dressed woman got stopped at the door and asked to open her bag. All of this merchandise fell out. She acted shocked and swore that she had no idea how it got there.

It showed me that no person is immune from being discontent. Being discontent leads to lack of faith in God's provision which leads to sin.