Monday, May 19, 2008

You can't judge a book by its cover

When I was in elementary school I ordered this book from the Scholastic Book Club flier.


Being wary of any book with the word "witch" in the title, my mother confiscated it and deposited it in the round file before I even had a chance to read the first chapter.

Now 25 years later I've finally read the book. The kids and I listened to it on audio tape during our drive to visit my folks. It is a well written, thought provoking story not about witchcraft, but about how hate and distrust can make Christians act more like the devil than like Christ. It reminded me once again that Christ is seen in me not by what I profess, but by what I do.

1 comment:

A Dusty Frame said...

My mom did the same thing. We never read any books with a Witch in the title.

I never read the Nancy Drew or Trixie Belden that had something about witches;)

I don't regret that though. I think it's ok to be careful, but you are right that we can't judge by the cover

Lizzie